DEFENDING FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS IN THE ONLINE AGE
Covering tech policy has given me an insight into the scope and scale of data processing in our modern lives. Over the years covering this topic, I have become increasingly concerned about the level of surveillance and tracking taking place around the world day-to-day. I am passionate about our right to privacy and have written about the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation from its inception, even briefly appearing in the documentary Democracy about the process. I have also covered the twists and turns of the Safe Harbour programme and its resurrection as Privacy Shield, and I am currently following the reform of the ePrivacy Directive and the UK IP Bill closely.
- Expert Council Member and Correspondent for The Good Technology Collective.
- Named by Onalytica as one of the world’s Top 100 Influencers on Data Security 2016.
- Correspondent for the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) publications The Privacy Advisor and the Daily Dashboard.
- Presenter at the Global Privacy Summit in Washington, D.C. in April 2016 on a panel with Chair of the EU Article 29 Working Party, Isabelle Falque Pierrotin, and US Federal Trade Commission Chairwoman, Edith Ramirez.
- I have worked with the European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS) on events and hosted debates with Jan Philipp Albrecht MEP (rapporteur for the GDPR) as well as sharing platforms with Privacy Activist Max Schrems, MI5 whistleblower Annie Machon and Privacy International founder Simon Davies.
- Member of the editorial advisory board of the Journal of Data Protection and Privacy
- Called upon as an “expert witness” on data protection by the European Parliament’s ECR (European Conservatives and Reformists) group, and spoken at events hosted by the European Greens and the Socialists & Democrats
- I was also part of the WePromise video campaign to get data protection on the agenda for the European elections in 2014 and will also speak at the prestigious Salzburg Global Seminar in September 2016.
- I presented the first joint of the European Commission and the European Parliament’s technology departments in November 2016.